Monday 2 July 2012

Catharsis



If you haven't already figured.. Writing (whether its blogging or writing letters) is so cathartic for me. I find that whenever Im upset i'll write out a letter to myself or to the person whose bothering me. Often, I burn the letter or destroy it some how. However, there have been times where I actually give the letter to the person.

I think writing releases a lot of emotions and a lot of weight comes off our shoulders. Although it may not solve our problems, it definitley helps for us to see what exactly about the problem it is thats bothering us. Sometimes we get so caught up and angry that we dont even know why were mad. I find that when I write, I am able to see what exactly happened that lead me to being angry.

I would recommend everyone to either get a journal, a journal app on your phone, a notebook or even a memopad in your blackberry in which you write down what happens in your day or what went well and what didnt. Sometimes you'll begin to see a pattern form.

I facilitate a Girls Group at a local high school and when we started from day 1, I gave the girls their own journals in which they would write everything that happens in their day. At the end of the program, they all said they felt much, much better having a release. So much goes on in our day and everything eventually piles up.. writing takes all that weight off our heads and puts it onto something more tangible.

Whether you burn, rip, destroy or keep the paper is up to you.. but you will find that writing is so cathartic. Try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment